Wilderness Road Amateur Radio Club Ham License Test
In-Person Examinations our held normally at the American Legion Post 46, at 45 Spears Lans, Danville KY 40422
Registration is mandatory and you can accomplish this by clicking here for the Jan 23, 2021 test.
You may have found this site linked from the registration page. If you have registered let me explain the next steps:
- I will send communication normally about 2 days prior to the test session as a reminder for you, but also advise of any relevent changes that are different then what I have communicated below.
- If you are feeling sick, please make arrangements with me, we can attempt to test you via a remote session.
- You probably received a confirmation email after registration, please bring a pen or pencil, along with your photo ID, and $15 cash preferred (we can make change for $20 bills).
- When you arrive, the door you will enter is facing the parking lot. If you arrive before 10 AM, we ask that you wait in the car, you may see some of my VE team walking towards the building between 9:30-9:45. Please understand we need a few moments to discus the latest changes to the examination process with my VE Team, and we also have equipment to set up, and sanitizing that occurs. We pride ourselves on having the ability to offer in person duirng a time life this, and we don't want to jeopardize being able to hold these if we dont take some simple precautions. We will do our best open the door and waive you to come on in between 9:55 and 10AM. Please respect social distancing when in line to enter the door.
Upon entering, you will have your temperature taken, and will make sure you have a mask and you may take a seat at any of the tables, larger tables will accomodate two (one at each end) and smaller tables will accomodate one. We have been having extreme interest in in persion sessions, so we do our best to keep the distance between all the applicants, all the test are random generated. If you have any concerns, please let us know and will do our best to accomodate.
- Upon being seated, we ask that you silence your cell phone and place them off the table.
- Please have your photo ID and $15 on the table (We can make change for $20 bills) along with a non-meory calculator you plan to use (cell phone calculator cannot be used, we do have some basic 4 functions to lean, please dont go buy one just for this session).
- My VE team will come around and check your ID and collect the examination fee; at that time they will acquire your examination packet that I have prepared for you, thanks to your pre-registration.
The test packet will consist of a white bubble sheet on top, question packet below on green (Technician), yellow (General), or red (Amateur Extra) paper depending on the level exam you are taking. The last white pages will be any diagrams that may be referenced possibly in the test packet. You may either start right away or wait till we complete everyones payment/ID checks as there will be communicating during this time, but usually is only 3 to 5 minutes to get everyone checked in.
- During the test, you may use pencil or pen, if you should want to change an answer please erase and mark the correct answer, if in pen let one of our VE team know we can white out the incorrect answer, our grade machine will have no problem with us doing that. If you have a question raise your hand will have several VE monitoring the room, and when done, also raise your hand and you can hand the test packet to one of our VE.
- Our VE may ask if you pass, if you are interested in taking the next level exam, as it is included for free with a passing grade. This will allow them to
bring you the next test packet when they return from the grade stand.
Before you leave...If you indicate you are happy and wish to stop after passing your exam. We will review your 605 and CSCE with you electronically on a tablet, your just verifying your information is correct, (should mimic what was broought over from your registration process) and then will collect a electronic signature from you on the tablet. You then will receive a copy of your Certificate of Sucessful Completing within one hour of the session ending as your proof of passing that element. If you should not receive this let me know. Your license should appear in the FCC database possibly Monday afternoon, sometimes it can take 2 to 3 days. we submit eletronically to avoid any mail issues.
If for any reason you do not pass your examination, you have 2 options, one if you failed by only one or two questions, you may ask to pay another $15 and we can provide you another random test. So far Ive had better then 50% people pass that second test. If you missed more then 2 from a passing grade, you are welcome to inquire at hamstudy.org or kn4s.com for the next in person session in the bluegrass area and utilize hamstudy for additional study material.
If you need to reach me, I am here for you, the best way to reach me is via email - Harold.p@Miller.org. If you need to reach me during a test session, please text me. I will respond as quickly as possible.
Our VE team wishes you the best of luck and if there is anything we can do to make the experience better for others please let me know. I value feedback.